Royal Ordnance ,otherwise known as ROF Chorley or Filling Factory Number 1. It was opened in 1939 by King George the V1. During the 2nd World War over 35000 people were working there.
In 1943 workers on the site filtered Torpex explosive into the famous 'Bouncing Bombs' used to attack German Dams in the Dambuster Raids
Today Buckshaw Village is on the site of the former Royal Ordnance